Sunday, November 15, 2015

Reentry



 Coming home has its own set of angst.  After being gone for 3 months, half of that in Italy, it’s hard to imagine coming home to my own bed, and kitchen after living out of suitcases for this long.


Leaving Italy was difficult for me.  Dr. C. is still getting used to being retired, and there were a few things he wanted to get settled at home, so he was ready, but I definitely could have stayed on.  Our last few days were in Rome, I stopped by Noi Salon to get my hair cut and had a fabulous time with our friends Rick Breco and Massimo Topo.  I’m hoping we’ll get to see them at Christmas when they come “home” to So. Cal. 

Arriving in the US we are greeted with the 24 hour news cycle.  Italian TV is more civilized, in that a lot of it is old US reruns, dubbed in Italian—you haven’t lived till you have heard Marge Simpson speak Italian. 

Reentry for me involves readjusting to the stress-filled lives that we Americans tend to live.  I’ve been on the road for 2 weeks since we returned, and have tried wherever possible to do deep breathing, to remember the gorgeous views from our terrace, and the laid back life style that we led while in Spello.  It becomes harder to remember the further away I get. 
I am so blessed to be able to do things I love, and to spend time in Italy with our family at Enoteca Properzio.  Next year, I’ve been accepted as a visiting scholar at the American Academy in Rome to study their sustainable food project.  Dr. C. and I will live at the American Academy for the month of April, and I will study and write about the project.  Building community around the dinner table is something that is near and dear to my heart, and I want to see how the academy fosters collaboration, and collegiality around their table.  I cannot wait.  But until then, I’m 30 minutes away from landing in San Diego, and am excited to reunite with Dr. C., our son Ryan, my friends and my kitchen.  More on that later.  Until then Ciao.    

No comments:

Post a Comment